[IPython-dev] Thoughts on the notebook format for version control

Pablo Winant pablo.winant at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 08:07:30 EST 2011

Hi,

This conversation has reminded me of a nice and simple feature I have been
missing when switching from the Sage notebook to the the IPython one.
Attached to each Sage notebook is a DATA directory where the user can save
files associated with the notebook. For instance the statistical data
associated to the exploration code. Then notebooks can be exported/imported
with the DATA directory so that everything is really self-contained and
reproducible. Technically, I think everything is basically stored in a
compressed archive.
This behaviour is a bit different from the way IPython currently stores its
notebook but it is not that far from having a cache directory (or a file)
included with the saved notebook so I thought it could pertain to the same
discussion.

Pablo