[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:50:52 EST 2011

On 30 November 2011 18:23, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

>  For example, a new user of python 3 may (in IPython) start to believe
> that 'print foo' is valid python.

I think this is potentially the case with a lot of what IPython does
('foo?' introspection, magic calls, shell access), but with autocall, we
make a point of displaying the rewritten form so it's obvious what's
happened.

I realised I was wrong about attribute access on tab completion - a.<tab>
won't actually access all attributes of a, although a.b.<tab> has to access
a.b.

As a compromise, why don't we allow autocall of "foo x", but not "foo.bar
x" (unless autocall is set to 2)? This preserves the main uses of autocall
(len, print in Python 3, etc.), without needing attribute access.

Thomas