[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:56:10 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:
> So personally, I don't think autocall is friendly to beginner users
> even as it is now, for the simple reason that it changes the syntax of
> Python.

Yes, there seems to be consensus that autocall should be an expert
tool, and therefore it would be OK to make the default be off.  The
defaults should be chosen to make ipython as beginner-friendly as
possible (while still being more useful than the >>> shell).  Experts
are expected to tweak their config to suit their personal preferences
(e.g., I'll always keep autocall on in 'smart' mode).