[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:59:04 EST 2011

On 30 November 2011 19:39, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> So in summary, from the feedback (thanks everyone), I'm leaning towards:
>
> - defaulting autocall to 0.
>
> - accepting Thomas' idea, if we can rework the machinery (in a
> backwards compatible way, so we still understand the 0,1,2 labels as
> synonyms for 'off', 'smart', 'full') to accept 'safe' as a new mode.

I would still press for having my 'safe autocall' on by default. As far as
I can see, this shouldn't cause any problems with unexpected attribute
access.

As Min mentioned, autocall is a handy hint for beginners, and almost
entirely useless if it's off by default. And I suspect that >90% of what
it's used for is simple functions, like len and list - I use "list _" a lot
when something returns a generator and I want to see the values. Also, for
people migrating to Python 3, having "print x" just work but give a
reminder will save a lot of cursing.

Thomas