[IPython-dev] Help needed: stumped by odd MANIFEST.in/distutils behavior

Paul Ivanov pivanov314 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:45:03 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually not sure that we *need* setuptools in the sdist command,
> I can't really remember why it was put there.  Does anyone recall?
>
> My instinct would be to *not* use setuptools for sdist, but I don't
> want to make that change right now.  There's a good chance we put that
> in because we needed it for something...  Can anyone think/remember
> why that was the case?

Found it here: 702b2cb74608995f2aad56c95daae620ff2d5711
which points to the discussion on this old bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipython/+bug/504968

It comes from Gael's joblib - where Gael still has 'sdist' listed
under "For some commands, use setuptools"
(https://github.com/joblib/joblib/blob/master/setup.py)

--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: