[IPython-dev] %page help(x)

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 20:24:23 EDT 2011

Hey Mark,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Mark Voorhies <mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to send the results of help(myclass) (i.e., the class and method docstrings)
> to the qtconsole pager.  "myclass?', "myclass??", and "%pdoc myclass" are all not
> what I'm looking for.  Is this a thing?  If not, which module should I be hacking on?

help() is a part of the python stdlib, you can see the code by typing
help?? at the ipython prompt.  It will show you that it's a little
wrapper around pydoc.help.  So you could simply write your own
function/magic that uses this helper but instead of letting it display
its results, fetches them and calls the ipython pager.

Let us know if you need further details.