[IPython-dev] 0.12, concrete plans; help welcome!

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 17:50:17 EDT 2011

Hey folks,

trying to keep the ball in motion towards 0.12 here... I had a look
and we only have two issues tagged critical/0.12, and both of these
actually are already tied to in-progress PRs.  So it looks like if we
make headway on our open PRs in the next week or two, we should be
able to cut 0.12 in time for Ubuntu 12.04 (it's a long-term support
one, so it would be very nice to get in there with the notebook).

So a few things those on this list can help us with:

- if you see an issue on the tracker that is NOT tagged 0.12/critical
but you think should be a blocker, please let us know and we'll
consider it.

- if you can test things out from git master, bang on the notebook and
the qt console and report what breaks/doesn't work, that would be
great.  Particularly if you spot anything bad enough that it should be
considered a blocker, yell loudly.

- we need more eyes on the open PRs, and there's a little bit for
everyone: Qt, console, notebook, internals.  Helping test/review an
existing PR gives the core team more confidence on how to move
forward, and is a great way to get acquainted with the codebase, so
don't be shy!  Anyone can comment on a PR, and we really value new
pairs of eyes on them.  As a rule of thumb, a PR with 20 or 30
comments is likely to have an already complicated discussion going on
so you may want to skip those on a  first pass, unless you happen to
care/know about the topic.  But one with very little feedback could
really benefit from your eyes, there's a few that still have 0
comments.

It actually looks like we're in reasonable shape for a release in a
few weeks, though I know right now Brian and Min are both swamped
enough that they have super limited bandwidth.  But with a bit of help
from everyone, this release won't be nearly as painful as 0.11 was,
and I think we'll make many people happy out there with the notebook
and the improvements to the Qt console (there's an excellent PR for
that at https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/813).