[IPython-dev] minimal mpi4py notebook example

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:15:19 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Chris Kees <cekees at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could somebody point me to documentation on a simple example of using
> mip4py from the notebook? I want to do something like
>
> $ipcluster ...
> $ipython notebook --pylab ...
>
> and then in the notebook do a simple mpi hello world. I can start the
> cluster and do it from a standard ipython client but can't seem to set
> up the notebook correctly to use the engines.

Just so we understand better precisely what you'd like to see
illustrated: do you want the process running the notebook to be itself
one of the members of your MPI world (say the rank-0 node)?  Or do you
want the MPI world to start N nodes to which you then attach from a
notebook session and tell them to run various bits of code from within
the notebook?

With a bit of clarity about what you want to do, we should be able to
help you out (and will make that notebook an example in the docs).