[IPython-dev] IPython build environment on Ubuntu 10.04

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:42:38 EDT 2011

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Mark Voorhies <mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Just finished submitting a manuscript and have some time to do a bit of IPython hacking.
> It looks like my installed dependencies are sufficiently out of date that I should rebuild
> my environment (Cython/ZMQ/PyZMQ/IPython) from scratch.

Unless you plan to hack on pyzmq itself, you don't need cython to just
install pyzmq.

> Does anyone have advice for doing a non-system install of these pieces
> (e.g., to $HOME/ipython/) on Ubuntu 10.04, preferably from their VCS versions?

My standard procesure is just to install things in $HOME/usr/local via

python setup.py --prefix=$HOME/usr/local

or

./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr/local && make && make install

I have $PATH, $PYTHONPATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other such variables
configured for this to work out of the box.  If you need a hand with
this I'm happy to send over my bash utils that take care of it.

I'd recommend you go with released versions of zmq/pyzmq, as there's
no need to use the bleeding edge of those.  If you're interested in
the web notebook you'll need tornado from git, that's currently our
only non-released dependency.

Looking forward to having you contribute again!  Please let us know if
you get stuck on anything.