[IPython-dev] IPython+zmq and fork()

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 23:42:37 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Just as a point of reference, this documentation page (which seems to be
> outdated, maybe?) indicates that a single-user command line session will
> eventually use a 2-process model with zmq to communicate between the
> processes:
>
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/ipythonzmq.html

That already exists, and you can start it with

ipython console

which is capable of connecting to an already running kernel with the
`--existing` flag.

But to clarify, both for the benefit of Sage and any other project
using IPython: we have a policy of keeping the 'classic'
single-process IPython *always* installable with nothing beyond the
standard library (plus pyreadline and setuptools on Windows).  This
hasn't changed now, and there's no sensible reason to change that
ever.  There is enormous value in IPython being able to run just on a
'naked' python installation as a better interactive shell, and many
projects and use cases benefit from this, so we'll never change that
(if we ever accidentally break this, it should be reported as a bug).