[IPython-dev] Export notebook to image >>> not editable print view

Damián Avila damianavila at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:31:49 EDT 2012

Working in a ipython notebook plugin for an ide, I realize that the
print view of the notebook is functional notebook, and hence, it is
editable.
For a print view, it would be a better options to get an non-editable
notebook. There was a little discussion in github around this topic
(<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1292>https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1292).
Brian propose to generate a static html for the print view. Then, I
proposed another way, so I bring the discussion here:

We can capture the notebook into a png (and other format) images using
qwebkit inside PyQt (we have the last one as dependency for Qt console).
In this way, first, we can support another ways of export the notebook,
such as images...
Then, we can import this notebook images inside PyQt objects and
displayed into the javascript enviroment...
I wrote a little script to capture a complete image of the notebook and
show the image inside a web browser and it is displaying great, like the
notebook itself.

Another way to have a non editable print view would be an export to a
raw html (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/860), but we have to
deal with MathJax, CodeMirror and Markdown.

What do you think about the "image" way to generate a non-editable view
of the notebook? I think it would be easy to implement.

Regards.

Damián.