[IPython-dev] zmq when using ipython

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:41:32 EDT 2012

Hi Jason,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Last year, we talked about wrapping such user messages so that the
> message the client would actually see this:
>
> {"header": {...},
> "parent_header": {...},
> "msg_type": "extension",
> "content": user_message, # message above
> }
>
> Is there a way to send such messages from userspace code?

I don't think we ever implemented the extension message type, but I'm
+1 on doing so.  I would suggest that our objects would implement a
generic extension message handler that simply logs them by default.
But users could provide their own extension handler function, which
we'd then call instead of the default.

How does this sound?