[IPython-dev] ipython notebook

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Tue Apr 24 14:40:27 EDT 2012

On 4/24/12 12:42 PM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Yep. In fact, it would be wonderful, if one could have a multi-language
> environment in one notebook. The SageNotebook has something like this,
> but it cannot currently run without Sage and I am actually looking for
> something lighter.

The (new) Sage notebook has some very trivial dependencies on Sage (more
convenience than real dependencies, and it should be very
straightforward to remove them...).  However, you're right that it is
quite a bit heavier than the ipython notebook, but it also provides a
scalable centralized architecture for a multi-user server, tracking
users, notebooks, etc.  It's a heavier-weight solution to a more complex
problem. If you just want a personal notebook that is an interface to a
single personal installation, the IPython notebook is probably a better fit.

Jason