[IPython-dev] ipython notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:49:35 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Ralf Hemmecke <hemmecke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why ipython does
> not include such kind of talking to an external interpreter.

Min gave you already a set of solid responses, I just want to
reiterate on this point: we want to make it *possible* for other
developers to do this kind of work, but we have limited resources and
only build things as they are needed.  The way an out-of-process
kernel will happen is if someone (e.g. you) does the work and produces
a functioning implementation.

Most likely in the process, you'll find that certain things could be
easier if IPython itself adjusted certain things; in that case and
driven by a concrete use case, we'll be happy to fine-tune things.
But we simply don't have the resources to create an abstract
architecture for third-party kernels in a vacuum (and besides, I don't
believe such approaches produce useful tools).