[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook save problem caused by HTTP PUT

Lars-Innohead lars at innohead.com
Mon Aug 27 05:09:39 EDT 2012

Hi IPython developers

I have found a bug and a way to solve it: Sometimes I can not save an
IPython Notebook. The bigger the notebook is, the more likely saving is to
fail. The problem occurs on Windows but not on Mac.

Problem details:

When using the Chrome browser under windows a notebook containing only this
single line
for i in xrange(1234): print i
can always be saved. But if I make the notebook bigger by changing the line
for i in xrange(123456): print i
saving usually fails.

Solution:

I found out that the problem disappeared, if I modified IPython to use HTTP
POST instead of HTTP PUT. I don't know if it's a bug in the Chrome browser
or a bug in the Tornado server, but it can be solved by modifying these
three lines

C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\IPython\frontend\html\notebook\static\js\notebook.js:
            //type : "PUT",
            type : "POST",

C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\IPython\frontend\html\notebook\handlers.py:
    #SUPPORTED_METHODS = ('GET', 'PUT', 'DELETE')
    SUPPORTED_METHODS = ('GET', 'POST', 'DELETE')
    def post(self, notebook_id):
    #def put(self, notebook_id):

Kind Regards
Lars Bojsen-Møller