[IPython-dev] [nbconvert] Reining in the number of constructor arguments

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:12:06 EST 2012

Thomas makes a very good point:

If the nbcovert code is getting complex enough that these issues are
coming up, then there is no question about what we should do.  We
should handle it exactly like we do everywhere else in the IPython
code base.  The top level converter classes should inherit from
Configurable and the command line programs should be implemented as
Applications.  All of the config file stuff and command line options
will then be handled automatically.  This approach allows the
converters to be configured in numerous ways:

* Command ilne
* Passing kwargs to the classes.
* Setting attributes
* Config files

Is there any reason we wouldn't do this?