[IPython-dev] [nbconvert] Reining in the number of constructor arguments

David Warde-Farley d.warde.farley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:55:42 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas makes a very good point:
>
> If the nbcovert code is getting complex enough that these issues are
> coming up, then there is no question about what we should do.  We
> should handle it exactly like we do everywhere else in the IPython
> code base.  The top level converter classes should inherit from
> Configurable and the command line programs should be implemented as
> Applications.  All of the config file stuff and command line options
> will then be handled automatically.  This approach allows the
> converters to be configured in numerous ways:
>
> * Command ilne
> * Passing kwargs to the classes.
> * Setting attributes
> * Config files
>
> Is there any reason we wouldn't do this?

Not that I can see. Does this imply that attributes declared at the
class level should be declared with Traitlets? (Sorry, a bit new to
this part of the codebase.)

Since rendering a notebook is a complex process that it might be nice
to have some feedback on throughout, should we maybe inherit from
LoggingConfigurable?

David