[IPython-dev] Should I still contribute to IPython ?

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:36:47 EST 2012

I remember reading about a study that said that open source projects
that have funded developers actually get less contributions (or at
least fewer contributors) because there is a mindset of, "why should I
contribute when there is someone who is paid to do it? Surely that
person/persons will get around to fixing the issue themselves."  I
think the email Matthias received is indicative of this mindset.
Clearly it is wrong (obviously, more contributions are still more
contributions), but I think you should really think about how to make
this permeate through your community, so that you minimize the number
of people who end up thinking this way.

One good thing to do, as Matthias said, is to always encourage people
to write their own patches.  It is an investment to spend a day
helping someone write up a pull request for a fix when you could have
done the whole thing yourself in under half an hour, but by guiding
the new contributor, you potentially gain a new developer.  Ondřej
Čertík wrote a blog post a while back about how he managed to make
SymPy such a successful community
http://ondrejcertik.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-experience-with-running-opensource.html.
 The gist of it is what I just said.

For your situation, I think this additionally sends the message that
it is not only OK, but encouraged to send your own patches, rather
than wait for those people who are being paid to fix the bug for you.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> could do in minutes, and I guess this is the main concern most of you have.
>> reassure you we will alway take time to guide you to make a PR.
>>
>> I first contributed 1 Year ago, from an ~10 lines change that took me a week
>> write, I had kind words from fperez, epatters, and minrk to explain me how
>> do things they could have done in 10 minutes tops.
>>
>> Now I do the same for every pull request from users. Even if fixing a bug
>> would
>> take me less time than writing the explanation for an user, I still write
>> the
>> explanation and help do the right thing even for one line. I do strongly
>> believe that this is worth doing in the long run. And I know that I am not
>> the
>> only one that will keep up doing so as long as he can. Often the most
>> difficult
>> thing is to know the code base, not actually writing the patch, and nothing
>> but
>> time helps that.
>>
>> Heck, the Sloan-Foundation almost exclusively give to project linked to
>> education, if we can't be good teacher, how could build a tool to help other
>> teach ?
>
> Absolutely...
>
>> So yes I will continue to contribute, on my free time, I hope I'll find some
>> way to get more time to be involve. Yes the development will probably go
>> faster, and there are things I won't be able to follow, but even now, I
>> already
>> discover that some stuff had been added to IPython during the week that I
>> wasn't aware of, and I'm convinced there are still room for all kind of
>> contribution, from QTconsole UI to big AST hook to do amazing stuff I don't
>> even dream of.
>>
>> Hopping to have convince you that we will not change, and that you will
>> continue to
>> bring us big surprises with awesome idea and PRs.
>>
>> Thanks to all of you, also and especially to Fernando without whom IPython
>> would not exist today.
>
> Absolutely, thank you to *everyone* who participates in the project
> and community - and to Fernando for blowing off his thesis..
>
> So I think there are some important issues that the Sloan foundation
> grant does bring up, that we will have to work though.  Right now we
> are already flooded by the number of pull requests and contributions
> that we are getting.  With 5 of us working full time, the level of
> activity is going to go through the roof.  This is exciting, but will
> definitely change some aspects of the project.  Some of the questions
> that we are thinking about right now:
>
> * How do we coordinate all of this activity?  Already, our github
> issues are becoming unusable because of the sheer number of them.  We
> have to figure out a better way of using github issues, wiki pages,
> etc. to coordinate the increased activity the grant will bring.

I'm curious how you end up solving this problem.  I've found the
GitHub issues to be minimalistic, which makes them easy to use, but
they also lack in some key features that make managing thousands of
issues bearable.

> * Currently, we don't really have any long/medium term planning for
> the project.  Our current model works great for attracting the types
> of contributions we are getting right now, but it makes it very
> difficult to tackle larger projects that require a coordinated and
> sustained effort by multiple people.  I don't know what it will look
> like, but we are going to need to do this type of planning for the
> project.
> * How do we manage communication?  Verbal communication is much more
> efficient than emails or even IRC.  The 4 people at Berkeley will have
> an incredible advantage in being able to talk daily.  We don't want to
> cripple or remove that advantage, but we need to figure out how to
> include other core devs and people from the community.  This is
> particularly relevant to myself as I am the only person involved in
> the Sloan work that is not at Berkeley.

An idea floated around SymPy at some point to use Google+ hangouts
(basically, multi-way video chats).  We haven't tried it yet, but it
seems like it might work well.

Aaron Meurer