[IPython-dev] Should I still contribute to IPython ?

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:49:39 EST 2012

>> I know it probably sounds heretical, but I think that part of the
>> solution has to be to reduce the number of issues.  I don't mean by
>> closing issues by working harder and coding more, I mean simply
>> *closing* them outright to reflect the reality that we are not going
>> to work on them anytime soon.  There is no universe where it is useful
>> to have thousands of issues.  How many can each developer
>> realistically keep track of?  A few dozen?  When there are more than
>> that we simply ignore the issues and work on the things we want to
>> work on...I was recently talking to the lead developer of a large open
>> source project that has this problem, and he said "oh it's horrible
>> and I completely ignore our issues on github"  Personally, when I am
>> working heavily on the notebook, I maintain my own "issues list" in a
>> markdown document on my desktop.  We have to figure out a better
>> way...
>
> This does sound heretical to me, but I have a personality that
> dislikes deleting anything.  I personally think of issues as ways of
> organizing discussions about problems/enhancement requests so that
> when the issue comes up again, it is easy to see what was already
> discussed.

Keep in mind, I am not advocating *deleting* issues, just closing
them.  Closed issues are still tagged and searchable and preserve the
record of any work or discussion on the topic.

> SymPy has over 1000 open issues in our issue tracker (of over 3000
> total).  Admittedly, quite a few of the older of these are outdated
> and should be closed, but we don't take the time to go through them.
> But I personally feel that that many issues is manageable because we
> have extensive labeling, and Google Code has great search
> functionality (which GitHub lacks), so that I feel that I can almost
> always find the issue I want if I look for it.

Even with github issues now I can find an issue if I know it exists.
Where it is less useful is as a tool for deciding what we/I should be
working on next and tracking our current work.   Sure we have
priorities in our labeling scheme, but I think we mostly ignore those
when it comes time for each of us to pick things to work on.  When
issues fall off our email radar, they quickly disappear into the
abyss.

I think that issues serve a *very important role* in preserving
discussions, even for issues that don't lead to code.  I do think the
our current approach to issue does work very well for that.