[IPython-dev] (no subject)

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 07:10:40 EST 2012

On 21 December 2012 23:20, Jed Ludlow <jed.ludlow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Difficulty arises when IPython is in debug mode. I'm
> currently experimenting with a simple debugging toolbar that will send the
> typical pdb commands (next, step, continue, etc.) down to the shell during
> a debug session. But using the execute() method as described above does not
> work while debugging. It seems like pdb commands must be taking a different
> route to get to the kernel, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. Any
> guidance you can provide would be most appreciated.

The IPython protocol doesn't 'know about' the debugger, so the kernel is
essentially running code that calls raw_input(). When that happens, the
kernel sends an input_request message to the frontend, and waits for an
input_reply message:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/development/messaging.html#messages-on-the-stdin-router-dealer-sockets

Hope that helps,
Thomas