[IPython-dev] Introduction to contributing to IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:18:53 EST 2012

My local Python user group is looking to do a session on contributing
to open source Python projects, letting people get their hands dirty
with some code during the session. I've suggested it could be based on
IPython, since I'm familiar with the codebase.

What sort of things could people make reasonable progress with in a
couple of hours? Is there a useful extension that could be written
without having to understand too much of IPython's internals? Should
people tackle quickfix bugs (I see 2 open at present)?

Fernando, I know you've run something a bit like this before, so I
guess you have some thoughts on how to go about it.

To give you an idea of the format: there's usually about 10-20 people,
who divide into groups of 2 or 3 for the coding. People will bring
their own laptops, and there's wifi in the room. Everyone's broadly
familiar with Python code, but I doubt anyone (besides me) will have
looked at the IPython codebase before.

Thanks,
Thomas