[IPython-dev] Slow testsuite?

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 01:32:56 EST 2012

Much of the reason the parallel test suite is slow is that it starts
engines at many points, since numerous tests involve the behavior during
changes of the number of engines.  Further, the reason the test suite has
become slower is the recent increase of the default heartbeat period from
1s to 3s.  This means it can take 6s from starting an engine to the Hub
confirming that the engine is up on its first heartbeat response.  I can
shorten the heartbeat time in the test suite quite easily (via the `--ping`
argument to the controller).  It's still slow, due to the starting of many
processes, and various waiting periods, but adding `--ping=100`
(milliseconds) to the controller args, shaved ~60s off my runtime.

Very nearly all of the time in the parallel test suite is spent waiting for
something or other, so a fast machine will make approximately no difference.

-MinRK