[IPython-dev] Problem with IPython 0.12 and PuDB

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:16:20 EST 2012

On 1/6/12 4:17 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Can one of the IPython devs take a look at
> https://github.com/inducer/pudb/issues/30?  There is some problem with
> IPython 0.12 and the PuDB debugger. So far, it's been "fixed" by
> catching the error in a try, except block, but neither I nor Andreas
> Kloeckner, the author of PuDB, think this is the correct fix (for
> obvious reasons).  Is this a bug in IPython or a misuse of the API by
> PuDB?

I also get the atexit KeyErrors when I use IPython's Pdb subclass outside of
IPython. There should probably be a guard there in case the output cache has not
been set up. Similarly with the other KeyError.

As for the first AttributeError, the interface changed very recently. You no
longer provide a user_global_ns dictionary. Instead, you provide user_module.
user_global_ns is a read-only property that gets the dictionary from
user_module. IIRC, this was done to help with the perennial problems we have had
with faking the __main__ module.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."