[IPython-dev] Using \( \), \[ \] instead of $...$, $$...$$ fox LaTeX math

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:17:51 EST 2012

There are a number of levels that this choice enters in:

* Our display system enforces that latex means $ and $$.  This is
important as it provides a uniform interface for all people who want
to develop custom latex representations of their objects for display
in the notebook.  As time goes on, many third parties will rely on
this convention.
* The configuration of MathJax and matplotlib in the notebook and
qtconsole.  This has to line up with the conventions in the display
system, otherwise things won't work properly.

I think this is one case where it doesn't make sense for this to be
configurable.  Otherwise we can't promise that everyones code will
"just work" in IPython.  Is there a reason you can't use $ and $$?

Cheers,

Brian