[IPython-dev] Help testing new UI for the notebook

Ben Edwards bedwards at cs.unm.edu
Thu Jan 12 13:11:55 EST 2012

This is cool work, here are some comments.

https://github.com/ellisonbg/ipython/tree/wijmoize

> This Wijmo based version was my first attempt.  Wijmo has a very
> polished look (we have been using one of its themes "Aristo" for
> months now).  But, as I got going, I found that the usability of the
> menus was lacking.  The menu flyout animation is clunky and slow, I
> can't get the menus to open with a click (only on mouseover) and there
> are lots of minor glitches.  Documentation is also not great and no
> one has replied to multiple posts on their forums.

I've not experienced the same clunkiness and slowness. I am not in love
with the mouse over menus. I have been playing with setting up a notebook
server on my desktop and accessing it from my tablet. This makes mousing
over not quite work correctly. While certainly IPython is meant for a
keyboard and mouse. Doing some quick calculations on  my tablet is great,
but with mouseover menus this is hard.

* One that uses a dev branch of jQueryUI:

> https://github.com/ellisonbg/ipython/tree/dewijmoize
>
> jQuery UI has been working on menu/menubar widgets for some time now.
> The version I am using is in a dev branch (not even master).
> Surprisingly, the usability is much better than the Wijmo based
> version.  Everything is snappy and quick and things just work.  jQuery
> UI is pretty solid, so even though this is pre-release quality, I
> trust it - and it tends to be clean, well documented code.  Downsides:
> we are back to a basic jquery theme, no keyboard shortcuts in menu
> items.

Again, both seem snappy, and I have no real aesthetic preference.