[IPython-dev] IPython.zmq tests

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:12:20 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> While playing with the test suite, I've just noticed that the standard
> iptest command doesn't run the tests in IPython.zmq. I don't know if this
> was deliberately disabled or simply overlooked, but running those tests
> (iptest IPython.zmq) now is not pretty. ZMQ complains about contexts
> terminating or not terminating, several terminal editors pop up and have to
> be dismissed, and when it's finished, it hangs and has to be killed
> manually. Since the other things are working, I guess it's more of an issue
> with the tests than the code itself, but it could still do with some
> attention.

Ouch: it was most likely that when we got the machinery up and running
we were struggling with some of those, disabled them temporarily and
simply forgot to re-enable them.  It was most certainly *not* intended
to stay that way, and I'd say it's pretty high priority that we fix
that now.  It's perfectly possible that some of those failures are
true bugs whose consequences we may be seeing elsewhere, so we should
definitely try to get that fixed up.

In order not to pollute master with a big batch of new failures, I
suggest we do this in a branch.  If you want to tackle it and it looks
quick, do it like a regular PR.  Otherwise we can make a shared branch
on the main repo so that multiple people can pitch in as necessary.

Thanks for finding this!