[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror
ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:56:25 EST 2012
Recently, we added the ability for users to edit a single cell in the
notebook using the Ace editor. I think Fernando and I have been under
the impression that Ace was a more featureful editor that power users
would want for serious dev work in the notebook. Here is my take on
* Ace has better support for keyboard bindings (emacs/vim), although a
recent version of CodeMirror has improved this situation.
* Ace has more keyboard actions out of the box, such as indentation of blocks.
* Fernando and others have remarked that CodeMirror was not quite as
nice as Ace. I have this vague sense, but it is difficult to say
exactly what is better.
* Is Ace really that much better that it is worth us shipping/using it?
* Do people like the ability to edit a single cell in a
Please check out the Ace capabilty in master and let us know what you think...
Brian E. Granger
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
bgranger at calpoly.edu and ellisonbg at gmail.com
More information about the IPython-dev