[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 17:43:32 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, I do think that if we stick with CM and try to make it work, we
>> will end up better off.  Trying to manage the subtle issues in both
>> editors will probably drive us crazy.  And I think CM woud work fine
>> as an editor for .py files as well.
>
> Great.
>
>> I will try to adapt the full-window editing mode to CM.
>
> Is it even needed?  I thought the reason for having that separate mode
> was b/c Ace couldn't be dynamically sized like CM.  But since CM
> adjusts dynamically to the cell size, and the browser already has a
> scroll bar, I'm not sure I even see the need for the separate view at
> all.

There were a few reasons for the separate mode:

* Ace could only have 1 instance.
* Ace had to be statically sized.
* Users might want to mentally focus on a single cell for a while.

With CM, the first two of these reasons are irrelevant.  What about
the third point?  Maybe it is unneeded complexity - because the
existing CM editors do expand however much they need to.

Brian

> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger
bgranger at calpoly.edu and ellisonbg at gmail.com