[IPython-dev] Quitting (qt)console without killing kernel

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:44:17 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:32, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been caught up in other things and haven't been following
> developments over the last few months, but I'm really impressed by a
> lot of the recent new work on ipython - I know this has probably been
> internalized by most of you now, but the polished notebook is
> particularly impressive-looking!
>
> One feature that seems to have disappeared since I last did a "git
> pull upstream master", though: the option of starting the qtconsole
> (or, now, even better, the 2-process terminal console), and quitting
> the frontend without killing the kernel.  It used to be that a
> yes/no/cancel dialog appeared allowing the option of killing one or
> both, but now it seems only possible to kill everything.  Similarly,
> the exit function used to have an option to let the console stay
> alive, but that doesn't seem to do anything now.  Is this a conscious
> design choice, or was it a temporary simplification?

It was a bit of both.  When the qtconsole added multiple tab support
it became extremely complicated to be able to leave some fraction of
those running in the background, as decisions are being made at both
tab-close and app-close, and the close/leave running decisions have
become quite convoluted.  If this logic is simplified significantly
(decoupling the tab:kernel relationship, and using a cleaner
'MultiKernelManager'), then it will probably be more reasonable to
restore the option to leave orphaned kernels.  For now, if you want
kernels to stay alive, you can use `ipython kernel` and connect
separately with `ipython qtconsole --existing`.