[IPython-dev] future division in embedded ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:37:44 EDT 2012

On 4 July 2012 18:26, Carl Smith <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe a configurable or something, so the user can set the way it works, and
> just document it?? I'm not really sure.

We try not to add more configuration unless it looks like there's a
real need to have both options:
- If it's configurable, there's an extra maintenance burden of making
sure each option continues working in different scenarios.
- Most users will never go looking for an obscure config option, so it
doesn't relieve us from the burden of picking out a sensible default.

In this case, I'm leaning towards the view that embedded IPython
*should* inherit the future flags, without any config option. But it
warrants some discussion.

Thomas