[IPython-dev] future division in embedded ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:28:05 EDT 2012

On 4 July 2012 21:14, Joon Ro <joonpyro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, in my opinion, "inheriting" division is logical behavior. It
> actually was especially confusing for me because I have the import future
> statement in my ipython config file so whenever I run ipython, future
> division is automatically imported. So I assumed the embedded ipython
> would be the same.

I think the embedded IPython ignores your config - which is an even
more complex argument. Let's not go there today.

I think I agree that embedded IPython should inherit future flags from
the module it's called in. I'm not going to have time to work on it
for a bit, though. If anyone else wants to pick it up, I think new
code will be needed in this method:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/frontend/terminal/embed.py#L164

Otherwise, Joon, please file an issue so we don't forget about it.

Thanks,
Thomas