[IPython-dev] migration issues, embedding latest IPython in another application

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 02:29:16 EDT 2012

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Matt Anderson <manderso at broadcom.com> wrote:
> We have an application which embeds an IPython shell for occasional use (the
> program’s normal operation uses a standard library cmd.Cmd subclass, and
> ipython can be invoked as a do-command from that).  We’ve been using IPython
> v0.10.2 for well over a year, and I’m currently evaluating upgrading to the
> newest release, IPython v0.13.  I wanted to relate some issues I’ve
> encountered, and ask a question or two.

I just wanted to say that we're not deliberately ignoring your post,
despite appearances to the contrary :)  You caught us at the worst
possible time, as we were leaving for the SciPy'12 conference, and now
we're just getting plugged back in.

You ask a number of fairly detailed questions that will need a bit of
work on our part to answer, but I hope we'll be able to help you out
in the next few days.  This is the most detailed migration question
I've seen for a 0.10-> current embedding use case, and it's great that
you wrote this careful report.

We'll do our best to work on these issues one by one, and it's quite
possible that you've found areas where things aren't quite where they
should be, since nobody had really gone through the embedding
machinery that thoroughly.

This means that quite possibly working with you will lead only to
solutions for the 0.14 timeframe, but if that's OK with your team, we
can make sure that the embedding machinery really shapes up again for
production use.

Devs, if any of you has any bandwidth to tackle even some of these
questions, all help is welcome!