[IPython-dev] migration issues, embedding latest IPython in another application

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:35:29 EDT 2012

On 24 July 2012 17:15, Matt Anderson <manderso at broadcom.com> wrote:
> Could a new session start and the existing session end every time that control passes to, and then back from, an embedded IPython shell? The db object could persist, but the sessions would come and go as control alternated?

It could, but it's starting to sound like significant extra complexity
for a rather unusual use case (embedding in a secondary thread). My
inclination is to have a way to disable the atexit hook, and let the
embedding application take care of calling end_session() in the
correct thread.

I think the main HistoryManager interface hasn't changed much since
the big refactoring for 0.11, so hopefully we won't be breaking your
application with every new release.

Thomas