[IPython-dev] IPython notebook on Windows Azure

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:24:13 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just scanning through the documentation for Windows Azure, I notice
> that they have instructions for setting up the IPython notebook both
> on Linux and Windows (it's not clear why you'd want the extra hassle
> of setting everything up on Windows, but I guess someone will want
> to).
>
> http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/python/tutorials/ipython-notebook/
>
> I note that they recommend installing directly from master, which
> reinforces our preference for keeping master largely working, and
> using test_pr before merging.

The "they" in this case was Fernando and I ;-) and we were meaning to
email the list about this today, but you beat us to it.  We have been
working with Microsoft for the last month or so to work out the
details of deploying the notebook to Azure.  We worked with them to
write the documentation and up at the top (it is not obvious) there is
even a nice screencast that Fernando did showing how all of it works.
They have been very cooperative and helpful and we feel like this is
some nice visibility for the project in a somewhat different context
than usual.  We are actually quite impressed with how easy everything
was - Azure has come a long way for sure!

Cheers,

Brian