[IPython-dev] Cell magics and extensions

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Jun 8 07:44:22 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:17:17PM -0700, Brian Granger wrote:
> I guess my initial intuition is that we shouldn't get into the
> business of managing packages for users.

+1

setuptools, distribute, packaging, pip... years after it all started,
IMHO it is still a mess and never became reliable.

Just make sure people can easily write extensions and easily plug them
in (file path + couple keys/values) and do not try to rule how these
extensions are fetched from the net or where they are stored on the
hard drive.

Mercurial, for example, has an extremely active extension community
thanks to the simplicity of the extension system:
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/UsingExtensions

--
Nicolas Chauvat