[IPython-dev] ipython notebook installation instructions

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 17:52:48 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> This requires a separate notebook server or kernel manager for each
> such type of notebook.  What happens when I have users that have R
> notebooks, Matlab notebooks, etc., etc.  You end up with an incredibly
> difficult situation to manage, both for users, the person running the
> notebook server and the developers of the notebook.  I think the
> reality is that most users will want to switch back and forth between
> different syntaxes.  We need to make that simple, easy and lightweight
> and I don't see how to do that with a kernel-side approach.

I'm not convinced that doing it client-side works completely either,
but honestly, this problem is so tricky and full of branching logic to
worry about, that I suggest we just punt on it for now.  We just don't
have the time or mental bandwidth right now to deal with it well, I'm
afraid (at least I don't).  Hopefully in a few months when the base
architecture is more stable we can return to it with a clear head...

I also think that after a few months of using the cell magics system
extensively we'll also have a better understanding and intuition on
some of these questions.