[IPython-dev] Easy Installation

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Jun 11 08:11:45 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> > suggest a simple magic for doing an upgrade from a standard IPython,
> > got from a distro's repo, to a recent version, with all the cool bits.
>
> I think the best way to do this is to push towards a new release, and
> then get that into distro repositories.

+1

Software Development and System/Distribution Development have a lot in
common, but are two different jobs. Please let us not make the mistake
to believe that everything is done once the software is written and
tested.

If you have time in your hands, take a look at
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ and you will be surprised by
the amount of work and tools that is needed in order to get "a system
that just works for end-users and installs/upgrades packages when
asked to". Once you understand this, it becomes clear that unless you
want to limit yourself to a very restricted scope, there is no cheap
way to get it done.

Note: the keyword is "system" as in "an assemblage or combination of
things or parts forming a complex or unitary whole" meaning "lots of
(inter)dependencies" meaning "lots of difficult problems".

HTH,

--
Nicolas Chauvat