[IPython-dev] Let's get 0.13 released...

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:14:02 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Julian Taylor
> <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > This is great.
> > I was fearing the current feature creep would delay 0.13 forever.
>
> Certainly not!  It's really been an issue of manpower and time: the
> 'three monsters' we landed recently were extremely important, but they
> took full-time commitment from Brian, Min and I to get done (JS
> refactoring, full kernel merge, magics/cell).  And right after we
> finished the work, we had to write a long and detailed report as this
> work was done under a grant with the US Department of Defense.
>
> And the *same day* the DoD report was due was the day that Microsoft
> was announcing the new Azure platform with IPython.
>
> So our plates have been just a little bit full ;)
>
> But we understand that normal users get code from stable
> distributions, not from last night's git master, so making a release
> has always been in our minds.  It was just a matter of landing this
> hugely important work first, so we'd have something really good to
> push out to people.  Now I think we do.
>
> > I'd still like the minified javascript situation cleaned up a bit.
> > I'm ok with accepting the same state as 0.12.1, unminify the stuff that
> > not in Debian which was only prettify.js last release. I'll remove the
> > rest myself.
> > Any new stuff that has been added since then?
>
> Not to my knowledge.
>
> > Does the notebook still need development snapshots of jquery & co or
> > will it work with official releases (debian has 1.7.2, -ui 1.8.20)?
>
> Honestly I'm not sure, others (Brian, Min, Matthias) might know better
> the answer to that...

jquery is fine (we are shipping 1.7.1, so 1.7.2 should be no problem), but
I think we do need dev jquery-ui.  pagedown now includes a tiny patch:

$> git diff rel-0.12.1 master
IPython/frontend/html/notebook/static/pagedown/

I don't think anything else has changed there.

> > Unfortunately unless you release really soon or the Debian release team
> > delays the freeze (currently 15. July) 0.13 is going to be too late for
> > Debian wheezy.
>
> Well, I don't think July 15 is out of the question.  I'd like to cut
> the beta tomorrow or Wednesday, with an RC soon thereafter.
>
> The point is that we want to release *what's there now*, not start a
> process of writing a bunch of new code :)

Right - I think if we cut off new features right now, 0.13 is a
satisfactory release.  I already have a few PRs explicitly targeting 0.14.

-MinRK