[IPython-dev] Namespace pollution and a kernel panel

Bob McElrath bob+ipython at mcelrath.org
Fri Jun 15 17:16:01 EDT 2012

MinRK [benjaminrk at gmail.com] wrote:

> This is a popular idea - a namespace view, sidebar, etc. a la matlab or what
> have you.  I've even implemented a simple one myself (purely with javascript in
> a markdown cell) as a test of the recently reorganized javascript that allows
> decoupling of execution from cells, based on %whos.

Is it available somewhere?

> If you want to execute without editing the document, this is what the
> 'run-in-place' (ctrl-Enter) is for - running a few commands in place, always
> overwriting the same cell, because you don't actually want to keep the effects
> in your document.

Aaah I haven't been doing that with ctrl-enter, good idea.

It still does change the kernel though, which is my concern.  (e.g. "what cell
did I last execute that set $x$?")

--
Cheers, Bob McElrath

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by
the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.
But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche