[IPython-dev] Namespace pollution and a kernel panel

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:35:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Bob McElrath <bob+ipython at mcelrath.org> wrote:
> Dumb question...but how?

I'm away from a machine I can test on right now, but if I recall
correctly, you can put in your config

c.InteractiveShellApp.pylab_import_all = False

> In any case I'm going to stop using --pylab, and use '%pylab inline' instead.
> The former makes the notebook not standalone -- it's dependent on whomever I
> send it to knowing to start ipython with the --pylab option.

Still, the above flag isn't exposed in the %pylab magic (which could
be considered an issue), so you still may want to set the flag, so
%pylab doesn't do the 'import all' dance.