[IPython-dev] Notebook names truncating at the first period

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:18:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Kent Inverarity <
kent.inverarity at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> There is a bug in the notebook where the notebook name is truncated at
> the first period in the filename when you open it -- and subsequently
> renamed when you save it. If you are using a period near the start of
> your filenames, this is annoying because you lose whatever the rest of
> the filename is as soon as you hit Ctrl+S.
>
> Presumably a better behaviour would be to truncate at the last period
> in the filename? I've attached a git patch file which does this.
>
> I didn't open an issue or PR in Github, as I'm not sure which is the
> best place to bring this sort of thing up.

The best place is a PR if you have a fix.  Though neither the code we have
nor your patch is precisely correct.

It should be:

name = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(path))[0]

If you want to do a PR with that change, please do, or I can push if you
don't want to.