[IPython-dev] Weird, serious notebook bug on Windows

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:58:53 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I just got out of a meeting with a colleague who was running beta1 on
windows, and we were getting the weirdest behavior:  every notebook
started would land on the *same* 8888 port. This is a beta1 added to
EPD on windows 7 on a fairly new laptop, and I simply don't understand
how the new notebook instances could be getting a connection to the
first port!  I'm pretty puzzled, but if this is reproducible then we
have a major blocker in our hands...

Can some of our Windows users report whether they see this behavior?
Simply start notebooks in several terminals, they should start getting
consecutive ports: 8888, 8889, 8890, ...  If they all land on 8888, we
have a problem.

In case it helps, this colleague was starting the notebook from a Git
bash shell window, not a windows console one (not that it should
matter).