[IPython-dev] [BUG] stdout issue in qtconsole

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 18:04:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Jonathan Rocher <jrocher at enthought.com> wrote:
> In that respect, I feel like if there is something to be found about what is
> holding the output from being flushed, it would be great to find it.

We have noticed indeed that manual stdout flushing seems to be more of
an  issue when kernels are connected over zmq than when they are
directly attached to a terminal (the 'classic' ipython).  But
unfortunately I don't know the low-level stdout buffering code in
Python well enough to say why this is the case, nor has any of us
figured it out yet.

If anyone has any clues as to why this issue is present, and whether
there's anything we can do from the python side (that is not putting
something awful like a sys.stdout.flush();time.sleep(0.1) call in a
background thread :), we'd certainly love to know.