[IPython-dev] Problem with 0.12 beta

vickys84 vickyscowcroft at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:29:39 EDT 2012

I realise this is an old thread but I was getting the same error with a newer
version of ipython with an EDP distribution. As this is the top search
result on google I thought it would be helpful to post the solution here.

[TerminalIPythonApp] Error in loading extension: kernmagic
Check your config files in /Users/vs/.ipython/profile_default
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
/Users/vs/env/normal/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/extensions.pyc
in load_extension(self, module_str)
     85         if module_str not in sys.modules:
     86             with prepended_to_syspath(self.ipython_extension_dir):
---> 87                 __import__(module_str)
     88         mod = sys.modules[module_str]
     89         return self._call_load_ipython_extension(mod)

ImportError: No module named kernmagic

For anyone still having this problem you should comment out the line:
c.TerminalIPythonApp.extensions = ['kernmagic']
in your ipython_config.py file.
Hope this helps