[IPython-dev] Minimal versions of browsers for the notebook?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:25:16 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the current silent-update model for FF and Chrome, does minimum browser
> version matter any more?  Can't we just say 'current'?  Even if it
> technically works, I don't see any point in our supporting abandoned
> versions.  If we really need a number, I would go with stable as of today
> (12 and 19, respectively), but I think 'current' is a better descriptor.
>
> Based on this table, the minimum numbers for websocket support without
> manual configuration should be: FF 6, Chrome 6, and Safari 5.0.1, but if
> anyone with a browser older than FF 12, Chrome 19, or Safari 5.1 has an
> issue, our answer should be to update your browser first, then come back and
> see us.

Well, the question arose in the context of environments such as the
DoD where all automatic upgrades are disabled.  In such places,
telling users to upgrade first doesn't work.  Though we can obviously
say "FF 4 is not supported, only FF10 or newer", we just need to be
able to give them a clear answer on that one.

For most 'normal' users I agree with you, but this is a legitimate
question for certain environments (and given how these guys are
currently funding some of our work, I do want to make sure we give
them a clear answer).