[IPython-dev] Cell magics ready for merging, review eyes welcome

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun May 27 00:08:25 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

I think we're more or less ready to merge cell magics!  These work not
only in the notebook, but also at the terminal and the qt console, so
you can type

%%cython
# cython code here

even at the IPython terminal :)  If anyone is willing to test the PR
and have a look, I'd be most grateful:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1732

Since this PR is massive (almost 100 commits and a diff almost 11,000
lines long), we really need to get this merged before long.  So even a
quick check that things work for you (or that they don't!) will be
appreciated.

ps - the %%cython magic itself will be in a separate PR, this one is
just the actual infrastructure to enable cell magics.  Then we'll add
a few we'll ship by default.  For now I think the only one will be
%%timeit, if I have time to implement it quickly (it should be easy).