[IPython-dev] ipython notebook installation instructions

Ralf Hemmecke hemmecke at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:56:35 EDT 2012

Hello Fernando,

> The R one is also in review and very close to ready:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1780, so pitch in with your
> feedback if there's anything there you think can be improved.

This sounds as if I should look more closely into the ipython notebook
again in order to use it as a front-end to FriCAS [1].

When I tried to install ipython from git, I realized that I have to
install zeromq. That seems to be no problem on the latest ubuntu. I
haven't actually tried, but at least I can find packages like libzmq-dev
which I could apt-get install. However, on Debian 6 there is no such
package.

Unfortunately, [2] is not completely clear about zeromq on systems that
do not have it.

In any case, are there some instructions to install the ipython notebook
on debian 6 (including all the prerequisites)? In fact, I'd like to have
some instructions that don't need 'root' access to this debian 6 system.
Can I install it under virtualenv?

In fact, I would be interested to use the fricas input language inside
the notebook, not python. Would this be possible with the ipython notebook?

Ralf

[1] http://fricas.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/install/install.html