[IPython-dev] Hurry! Nominate Fernando Perez as free software hero by Thursday!

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas at pettiaux.be
Wed Nov 14 02:18:08 EST 2012

Dear,

I know that Fernando is reading the list and that I have not asked him
before posting this. I do even without his permission.

I think that Fernando Perez of ipython fame deserve the free software
foundation award (Guido has already got it years ago). Please help me
support him as candidate. More on the context of the award after the text,
at the end of this mail.

Here is what I have written so far to support (please help me finish)

The following text is also in http://lite.framapad.org/p/fsfaward12
for an easy collaborative editing.

Please spread this to get support.

Much thanks,

Nicolas

========== to be sent to award-nominations at gnu.org ========

I propose to nominate "Fernando Perez" <fernando.perez at berkeley.edu>,
the leader and initial programmer of ipython for the Free software
foundation award.

Fernando is a great programmer from Columbia, now living in the US
(Berkely, Ca) who speaks Spanish, English and French. He is truly an
international leader and a extraordinary person.

Fernando is the original creator and still leader of ipython (see
http://ipython.org)

IPython provides a rich toolkit to help you make the most out of using
Python, with:

*    Powerful Python shells (terminal and Qt-based).
*    A web-based notebook with the same core features but support for
code, text, mathematical expressions, inline plots and other rich
media.
*    Support for interactive data visualization and use of GUI toolkits.
*    Flexible, embeddable interpreters to load into your own projects.
*    Easy to use, high performance tools for parallel computing.

Fernando has succeded to drive and motivate a very active community
that has very fruitful contact with other python communities, like
sympy, iscipy, numpy and matplotlib.

Thanks to Mr Perez's work's, the free software movement has a good
alternative to propriatory softwares like matlab, mathematica, maple
and the web site wolframalpha.com

But Fernando is also an extraordinary person and friend. For example,
very recently, Fernando has assisted his close friend John Hunter, the
creator of Matplotlib who died from cancer at the end of August, up to
creating the John Hunter fund to help his family and help create a
Distinguished Service Award of the Python software foundationn whose
first award in 2012 has been attributed to the late John Hunter.

All this makes me recommend Fernando Perez very warmly for the FSF award
2012.

Best regards,

Nicolas Pettiaux