[IPython-dev] improve http://nbviewer.ipython.org/

W Gong wen.g.gong at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:11:43 EST 2012

as a new user, I like to learn from examples or best practices:
To support a similar request by another new user Dennis,

can someone :
1) add "http://nbviewer.ipython.org/" to Help menu
2) make user submitted .ipynb visible at nbviewer.ipython.org
Currently this website is like a blackhole, you know what you submitted by
yourself, but you cannot see submission by others (except just 3 all the
times)

By the way, who owns and maintains nbviewer.ipython.org?

Thanks,

Wen

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM, sheila miguez <sheila at codersquid.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to ipython, and have some questions on how or whether one should
> configure options for osm commands.
>
> I had a conversation with Greg Wilson during pycon.ca sprints discussing
> worked examples. Somehow it turned in to a bit of ipython code that makes a
> backup copy of a file if it already exists so that new users don't clobber
> things when using %%file.
>
> I don't like changing an app's behavior on people like that, so I made
> backup only occur if a magic argument is passed to %%file. Greg rightly
> pointed out that people who are learning to program won't know to use that.
>
> I started looking through how config works. Perhaps OSMagics could become
> configurable, but if that was a good idea, someone would have done it
> already. Is it a highly inadvisable thing or just something that no one has
> needed yet?
>
> Another thing, I noticed that config has different profiles. Perhaps
> backup could be turned off by default, but there could exist a teaching
> profile that enables it.
>
> thanks
>

> --
> sheila