[IPython-dev] multiprocessing from within notebook crashes kernel

Satrajit Ghosh satra at mit.edu
Wed Oct 3 14:17:44 EDT 2012

hi min,

just getting back to this error. turns out that this error results from an
interaction between our library's logging mechanism (using python logging
module), the ipython kernel (happens with notebook and console but not with
ipython on terminal) and multiprocessing. i don't get the same error
running the same set of commands in the ipython terminal. i suspect it has
to do with how logging output is trapped and conveyed in the
multiprocessing context back to the browser.

cheers,

satra